February 21, 2019
5 Tips From Don Saladino, Our New Chief Wellness Advisor
Here at HALO Sport, we're excited to announce our partnership with celebrity fitness trainer Don Saladino! Don is joining the Hydration Revolution as HALO Chief Wellness Advisor. With over 20 years of experience and a roster of over 50 celebrity clients including Hugh Jackman, Ryan Reynolds and Sebastian Stan, Don has rightfully earned the title of superhero trainer. He's also the trainer who helped Blake Lively lose 61 pounds of baby weight after she had her second child.
Check out Don's top 5 tips to get into superhero shape:
- Avoid being in a calorie deficit: You don't have to avoid the foods you love. We need a substantial amount of calories made up of protein, carbs and fats to nourish the body and become a fat-burning furnace. "I also drink HALO," says Don. It adds some all-natural flavor into my life with electrolytes – which helps with re-hydration – and it’s only 10 calories, so you can enjoy it with your favorite snack or post-workout meal.
- Include the farmer's walk: The farmer's walk is one of the most underutilized exercises, but it's an amazing full-body movement that helps you burn fat and build strength and muscle at the same time. It's also safe enough for beginners.
Psst! Not sure how to do a farmer's walk? Check out Don's video below.
- For a leaner core, stick to the carb window: Many people think that in order to have a flat stomach or abs, you need to completely eliminate carbs from your diet. Wrong move. Your body uses carbs for energy, and if you don’t have any, it will take from your good fats and proteins. Carbs also help you recover faster, so you can bounce back better. Eat your fair amount of carbs, but stay away from them in the morning and evening. Eat them within a 3-5 hour window around your workout. And stick to good carbs like sweet potato, gluten-free oatmeal, quinoa and rice.
- Recovery is key: A body that functions better moves better, and a body that moves better looks better. Recovery enables you to rebound from stressful situations and become more resilient. If we don’t take the time to allow our bodies heal, we become lethargic all the time, we get sick or suffer an injury. There are many methods of recovery: get a massage, meditate, take a nap, or just take a long, relaxing walk.
- Everything in moderation: A lot of people think fitness is about going to the gym for hours. Fitness can be as simple as making better choices and doing things in moderation. For example, you can take the stairs instead of the escalator. I think once we start breaking people into this simpler idea of fitness and they start building confidence, they realize it’s not that hard.
In honor of our new partnership, get 20% off your HALO order with code DON20.